Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (Taco Style)
Every so often, I (Coach Emily) come home from work, open the front door and get hit with an overwhelmingly delicious smell from the kitchen. Whenever that happens, it’s because my roommate, Hannah, is cooking Quinoa Stuffed Peppers, one of her favorite dishes (and now one of mine, too). Check out this non-vegan spin on a recipe adapted from www.gardengrazer.com for an easy and incredibly cheap dinner that is bursting with flavor. It’s written for 4 people but can be easily changed and made for a bigger family, you and your significant other, or just you.
- 4 large bell peppers of any color
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- one 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1 fresh jalapeño, diced
- 2/3 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, pepper jack, or cheddar cheese
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Start cooking the quinoa on stove top by letting 1.5 cups of water come to a boil before pouring it in.
- Cook the ground beef or turkey on the stove top.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the bell peppers in halves, removing stems & seeds.
- Rinse & drain the black beans and corn thoroughly and combine with the diced jalapeño in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in all other spices and ingredients except the cheese and cilantro.
- Pour the quinoa and meat, once cooked, into the mix and stir until everything is well combined.
- Lay the 8 pepper halves in a large baking dish and evenly distribute the filling into each pepper half (don’t be afraid to fill it to the brim). Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over each.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Add the fresh cilantro and serve.